In preparation for any potential hurricane, Symmetric IT Group would like to let you know that we regularly check backups and systems to make sure we are good to go through any storm. We would also like to advise that if you are in the direct line of any hurricane and/or in a flood zone we suggest your team completes the following tasks alongside any internal plan you may have. Here is some hurricane emergency IT preparedness.
– Please Shutdown all the computers on the last day in the office before the hurricane hits.
– Please Unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of the computer. Typically, there will be a light flashing on the back of the computer tower when this plugs into.
– If you plan to move your computers, please take pictures of the setup to ensure they are put back correctly. Labeling makes it easier also.
– If they are connected to a surge protector or UPS – Turn off the UPS, and unplug UPS from the wall outlet or the surge protector.
– If no surge protector or UPS – Please unplug the power cables from the wall outlet (or back of the computer if the wall outlet is not accessible). We need to get you a UPS if this is the case.
– Turn Off the printers if connected to a surge protector or UPS – unplug the surge protector or UPS from the wall outlet.
– Unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of the Printer.
– If no surge protector – unplug the power cables from the wall outlet.
– Symmetric IT Group will shut down all servers remotely only if we see that the storm will be a direct hit or if you want to plan ahead just in case.
– On the day after the storm, we will turn the servers back on that we can access remotely. If we can’t turn it on remotely, we will walk you through turning the servers back on.
Most importantly, stay safe! Keep an eye on the news and evacuation plans and make sure you have proper supplies for an emergency (water, non-perishable food, a go-bag).
We hope you find this hurricane emergency IT preparedness helpful. Please be patient as we may be working with multiple clients during these times, and we will get to everyone as fast as we can.