The more time that passes the more files your business accumulates. These files need to be stored in a place where your staff has access to them. Since a lot of today’s work is collaborative, finding the right file sharing and collaboration solution is extremely important for the growing SMB. Today, we will tell you some things you need to do to maintain efficient file management systems. Here are some file sharing tips from the pros.
File Sharing Tips
#1 – Plan Out File Storage
File sharing tips start with simplicity. To collaborate successfully and share files efficiently, things have to be simple. Files need to be accessible and ready to be accessed by multiple people at any given time. This makes it a bit more difficult to know exactly what you need off the cuff. Some of the features of a comprehensive file sharing platform are:
- Shallow folders – The deeper your folders are, the more apt you are to lose track of data. Keeping it to three folders, if possible, can go a long way toward keeping data retrieval efficient.
- Coordinated filings – Nothing is worse than going to a folder to find a file that is supposed to be there only to find out that it is kept in another folder. If you have shared resources between projects, make copies and file them along with the other project files. Make sure all your employees are on the same page for what goes where.
- Relevant naming – When naming folders, it is important that, if someone were to have to search for it, that they can find it. That is why you want to name folders and files according to their practical purpose. Naming paired with not having too deep of folders go hand in hand.
- Consistent use of file types – Have you ever gone looking for a specific file only to find out that the file you were searching for is a completely different type of file? It’s frustrating. Save file types in the manner in which works best for everyone.
- No trash – A folder can get very sloppy very quickly. If a file doesn’t belong in a folder, don’t save it in the folder.
By having a system in place, you (and your team) will find it much easier to find the documents and files you are seeking. Speaking of being collaborative…
Be Collaborative, but In Control
Look, collaboration is the name of the game nowadays. With margins shrinking by the day, people need to work together to fuel revenue generation. That’s why it is important for decision makers to have a plan in place regarding access control. Not everyone on your staff needs access to all information. Making sure the right employees have access to the right information and not too much information is beneficial. In fact, if you give people free rein of your file systems, files will be left in places they don’t belong, time will be wasted, and negative situations can happen. Be sure to set permissions on your file sharing system to keep people in their lanes and working efficiently.
Prioritize Data Security
While simplicity and access control will go a long way toward keeping your file sharing platform secure, for it to be truly safe, you might need external tools. Encrypting your drives will keep your files more secure. For companies that feature remote workers, the use of a virtual private network to send and receive files will keep them from being intercepted. This is something we can help implement.
We hope this file sharing tips help you. If you are looking for ways to improve your organizational file sharing, call the IT experts at Symmetric IT Group today at (813) 749-0895. Check out our managed IT services page to look through some of the IT support and IT solutions we can bring to your business.