We all know how annoying WiFi can be at times. Sometimes it’s simply a bad connection, or perhaps there are too many devices accessing your network. Or, maybe it’s your sneaky neighbor stealing your WiFi. Regardless of what the cause is, there’s a way to check your WiFi usage in the Windows operating system. At Symmetric IT Group, we can configure your wireless router to lock it down and prevent unwanted devices from accessing it. Additionally, with our comprehensive Managed Services in Tampa Bay we can monitor your network for suspicious activity.
A free application called Who is On My WiFi lets you get down to the root of the problem by letting you take a look at your network first-hand. But you might be wondering why you need to worry about your WiFi network. The fact remains that it can be risky having an unsecured network, as hackers could access your wireless signal and cause all sorts of mischief.
Even if you have encryption, many forms of wireless networks can be cracked all the same. To make matters worse, routers only tell you who is on your network in the given moment. If they have accessed your network before or after you check, you won’t know. Therefore, other IT Support options can be helpful toward keeping your network secure and safe.
In order to use it, follow these steps:
- Install the application, Who is On My WiFi.
- Open the app, then follow the tutorial steps. Your network scan should start.
- Notice the list of IP addresses connected to your network. Each device should have a MAC address, as well as the local IP address of the modem you use to connect to the Internet.
- Identify the different devices connected to your network. You’ll have to assign labels to your devices so you can tell which IP address belongs to which device. You can assign labels by using the Description box. Afterward, click Save. If you know your MAC addresses, you’ll have a much easier time identifying which device is which.
- Look for unknown devices on your WiFi network. If you have some that are connected, you’ll probably want to change your password.
If you’re still unsure about your wireless network’s security, you should call Symmetric IT Group at (813) 749-0895. We can configure your wireless router to lock it down and prevent unwanted devices from accessing it. Additionally, with our comprehensive Managed Services in Tampa Bay offering we can monitor your network for suspicious activity. With Symmetric IT Group on your side, you won’t have to fear those who might steal more than just your Internet access.